On a daily basis we give thanks to the faculty and staff of the Department of Medicine for their contributions to discovery, education and the care of our patients. Today, the publication of hospital and medical specialty rankings by U.S. News & World Report reminds the world of what you and all of us together are accomplishing. We know that Drs. Rothman and Miller and Mr. Peterson have already emailed you the details of this year's results. What the world may not know is how grateful we are, today and every day, to all the division chiefs, faculty, fellows, residents and staff for contributing so exceptionally to patient care, research and teaching.
-Mark Anderson and David Hellmann
Congratulations to the following divisions for their well-deserved recognition:
- #1 Rheumatology
- #3 Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (an increase of two positions from 2015)
- #4 Diabetes & Endocrinology (an increase of one position from 2015)
- #4 Geriatrics (an increase of one position from 2015)
- #5 Nephrology (an increase of four positions from 2015)
- #9 Cardiology & Heart Surgery (an increase of seven positions from 2015)
- #13 Pulmonology
The Johns Hopkins Hospital ranked #1 in all specialties in Maryland and in Baltimore. Suburban Hospital ranked #11 in Maryland and #6 in the Washington, D.C., area. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center ranked #13 in Maryland and #11 in Baltimore.
Learn more about the methodology of these rankings on the Johns Hopkins Medicine intranet, in the special edition of Dome and on the U.S. News website.