The PRIDE Summer Institute Programs to Increase Diversity Among Individuals Engaged in Health-Related Research are now accepting applications. Space is limited for the 2017 mentored summer training programs so apply early!
Who: Eligible applicants are junior-level faculty or scientists with a background that is under-represented in the biomedical or health sciences, and are United States citizens or permanent residents. Research interests should be compatible with those of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in the prevention and treatment of heart, lung, blood and sleep (HLBS) disorders.
What: Seven unique Summer Institute programs with intensive mentored training opportunities to enhance the research skills and to promote the scientific and career development of trainees. Trainees will learn effective strategies for preparing, submitting and obtaining external funding for research purposes, including extensive tips on best practices. Research emphasis varies by program.
Where/When (Dates subject to change. Verify on website):
Advanced Health Disparities Training (AHD) (June 5-16, 2017)
- Location: Arizona Health Sciences Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- PI: Joe GN “Skip” Garcia, MD; Francisco Moreno, MD
Behavioral and Sleep Medicine (BSM) (July 23-August 4, 2017)
- Location: NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, New York
- PI: Girardin Jean-Louis, PhD; Gbenga Ogedegbe, MD, MPH
Cardiovascular Genetic Epidemiology (CGE) (July 5-26, 2017)
- Location: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
- PI: DC Rao, PhD; Victor Davila-Roman, MD
Cardiovascular Health-Related Research (CVD) (July 16-28, 2017)
- Location: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, New York, New York
- PI: Mohamed Boutjdir, PhD
Functional and Translational Genomics of Blood Disorders (FTG) (July 10-25, 2017)
- Location: Augusta University, Augusta, Georgia
- PI: Betty Pace, MD
Obesity Health Disparities (OHD) (July 9-19, 2017)
- Location: University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi
- PI: Bettina M Beech, DrPH, MPH; Keith C Norris, MD, PhD
Research in Implementation Science for Equity (RISE) (July 9-21, 2017)
- Location: The UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations at San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California
- PI: Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, PhD, MD, MAS; Alicia Fernandez, MD; Margaret Handley, PhD, MPH
Programs typically are all expenses paid including travel, meals, housing and tuition. Contact the program of interest for details. Mentees can apply to more than one program, but may choose only one.
PRIDE Website PRIDE Flyer PRIDE Brochure
Application Deadline: March 1, 2017, with rolling admissions until positions are filled.
Funded by NHLBI
PRIDE Coordination Core, Washington University in St Louis, Division of Biostatistics,
CB 8067, 660 South Euclid Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110