Dear Faculty and Staff:
We have all heard news about security breaches at various companies and the dangers of stolen personal information, and we know this can be a particularly challenging issue during tax season. As part of ongoing efforts to protect our systems from cyber threats and keep our employees’ information secure, Johns Hopkins is creating a new process to provide W-2 forms. This change keeps the process of distributing W-2s in-house rather than relying on an external vendor.
Because of this new approach, we have made two important changes. First, you will need to go to the Employee Self Service (ESS) website to verify your address and choose how you want to receive your W-2 form: electronically or by mail. Second, to access ESS after January 15, you will need to use a myIT login code; a higher level of authentication in the form of a security code that will be texted to your cellphone or provided by an app. If you are not currently using a myIT login code, you will need to enroll.
Here are the exact steps to select your W-2 delivery preferences by Dec. 31:
- Go to the ESS website, which is accessible from the myJH portal under the HR tab on the left side of the page.
- If you are not already enrolled to receive the myIT login code, you should enter the answer to your secret question and then follow the instructions on the screen to enroll before making any further changes in ESS.
- Once you are in ESS, if you want to get your 2017 W-2 online you will need to complete the online consent, even if you have provided that consent in past years.
- Click “W2 Information” on the bottom left-hand side.
- On the next screen click “Online W-2 Election.”
- On the following screen, next to the “Overview of Elections” header, click the “New Election” button. This will open up areas for both “Employee Details” and “Election Details.”
- Under “Election Details” you can click on “Receive W-2 Online” to initiate the consent to receive your W-2 electronically.
- You will be presented with a confirmation pop-up box asking you to confirm your election. If you wish to proceed, click “OK” to confirm your consent.
- Be sure to note there is more information under “Additional Information.”
- If you prefer to receive your W-2 by mail, you should confirm your mailing address by clicking the tab for “Personal Information” and then the link for “Permanent Address.”
For more information and step-by-step instructions, please visit the 2017 W-2 forms information webpage. You can also find this page by clicking the link “W-2 Current Employee” at the bottom of the HR/Payroll Shared Services webpage.
Please complete these steps now so Johns Hopkins can provide you with convenient access to your W-2. We appreciate your help implementing a process that prioritizes employee security and provides the tax information you need.
Vice President for Human Resources
Johns Hopkins University
Senior Vice President of Human Resources
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Senior Vice President and CIO Johns Hopkins Health System, Johns Hopkins Medicine
Vice Provost and CIO Johns Hopkins University
Chief Information Security Officer
Johns Hopkins University
Johns Hopkins Health System