The Department of Medicine development team has hit the ground running in FY19 with an ambitious goal of $22.68M. Some highlights from the first quarter include:
- $25K for the Division of Endocrinology from an anonymous donor to support the Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Innovation Fund. The gift will support the lab of Fred Anokye-Danso, MSc, Ph.D., whose research is in obesity and metabolic dysfunction.
- The Division of Endocrinology also received a gift of $434 from 11-year-old Demi Bamesberger of Colorado Springs. She organized a Hike for Hyper/Hypothyroidism and sent the proceeds to help research at Johns Hopkins.
- $500K to the Lyme Disease Research Center from an anonymous donor.
- Dr. Mario Molina made a new gift of $120K to support two additional Molina Scholars in the Physician-Scientist Pathway in the Osler Housestaff Residency Program.
- A junior faculty member, Eleni Tiniakou in the Myositis Center, Division of Rheumatology, received her first grateful patient gift in the amount of $25K. This gift will be used to support her research focusing on identifying and describing specific T cells in myositis.
In September, we celebrated the Fourth Annual Solbert Permutt, M.D. Memorial Lecture, which was established to celebrate the life of Dr. Permutt, a dedicated researcher and clinician in the field of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. As Dr. Wayne Mitzner remarked in his introduction, Dr. Permutt had an infectious personality, and left a lasting mark on his colleagues and friends at Johns Hopkins. This year’s lecturer was Marlene Rabinovitch, M.D., Dwight and Vera Dunlevie Professor in Pediatric Cardiology at Stanford University School of Medicine. Dr. Rabinovitch’s lecture, which was titled “Genetic and Epigenetic Determinants of the Inflamed Blood Vessel Wall Inform New Treatments for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension,” was very well attended and received.
Please mark your calendars for the Inaugural Dr. James C. Allen Lectureship in Virology, to be held on Monday, October 29, at 4 p.m. at the Welch Medical Library. The inaugural lecture will feature Robert T. Schooley, M.D., professor of medicine and academic vice chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Diego. A reception will follow.
The end of the calendar year is quickly approaching and is the busiest time of year for the Development Office. Please forward all checks (including corresponding envelopes and documentation) to Cynthia Fortner at:
DEPM Development Office
5200 Eastern Avenue
MFL Center Tower, Suite 356
Baltimore, MD 21224
The deadline for gifts to be processed and receive tax credit for 2018 is 9 a.m. on December 31, 2018. Please e-mail Cynthia at Cynthia.Fortner@jhmi.edu or call 410-550-9891 if you need to arrange pickup.
The Development Office is ready to assist you any way that we can. Please contact the appropriate staff member below:
Donna Bolin – firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-550-9893
Monica Butta – email@example.com, 410-550-9881
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Stephanie Cohen – firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-550-9892
Marketing and Communications
Cynthia Fortner – Cynthia.email@example.com, 410-550-9891
Carly Frank – firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-550-4098
General Internal Medicine
Osler Housestaff Program
Bayview Housestaff Program
Anne Kennan – email@example.com, 410-550-9890
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
Lyme Disease Research Center