William Checkley, associate professor in the Division of Pulmonary, and Trishul Siddharthan, assistant professor in the Division of Pulmonary, co-authored a chapter of Smoking Cessation: A Report of the Surgeon General. The report highlights the latest research on quitting smoking with proven ways to help patients quit for good. The report was presented at a press conference in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, January 23.
- Discusses patterns of adult smoking and smoking cessation in the U.S.;
- Updates findings on the biology of addiction and smoking cessation;
- Reviews the immediate- and long-term health benefits of smoking cessation;
- Examines clinical treatments and tools, including counseling and medications, proven to increase smoking cessation; and
- Highlights population-based strategies proven to increase smoking cessation.