Please be aware that Johns Hopkins University has recently updated the Travel and Business Expense Policy, effective July 1, 2021. You may access the new document either via the travel portal or JHU policies online. Published in 2014, the previous Travel Guide was not current with the many changes at JHU and in the travel industry. The updated policy has been written and structured to support those changes.
Please review this document for the following:
- Training Requirements
- Highlights of Travel Policy Changes
- Travel & Business Expense Policy Quick Guide.
If you are paying for travel and other expenses with sponsored funds, the sponsor’s policy will take precedence, when more restrictive.
If you have questions specific to the policy or expense submissions and reimbursements, please contact JHTravel@jhu.edu.
JHU and JHM Lifting COVID-19 Travel Restrictions
Effective Monday, Oct. 18, the travel restrictions currently in place for JHU and JHM personnel will be eased, and COVID-19-related approval for business travel will no longer be required.
Please refer to the following guidance:
- JHU and JHM personnel who have an approved exception or are not yet fully vaccinated are strongly advised to avoid work-related and personal travel.
- Asymptomatic saliva testing is available before and after travel. People who have symptoms, however, should not visit a testing site without contacting the Johns Hopkins COVID Call Center.
- Before planning any travel, please refer to the domestic travel guidance and international travel guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Also, check the COVID-19 situation at your destination before traveling, and follow public health guidance according to the CDC risk level. If you are traveling internationally, also become familiar with specific policies in your destination country and follow requirements for vaccines, testing and quarantine, which can vary widely.
- Be careful about your activities and observe good health practices when you reach your destination, not just during travel to get there. When traveling for work, be sure to evaluate the precautions being taken by meeting hosts, and be vigilant and perform masking and distancing when in public, especially while in larger groups.
- Upon return, if you or anyone in your party has any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or other flulike symptoms, please call the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Call Center at 443-287-8500 for guidance regarding work.