New/Early - Career Faculty
- Orientation; Friday, October 21, 2022, 8:00 am - 1:30 pm; Tilghman Auditorium
- Faculty Career Development Series (FCDS) for Early-Career Faculty
- “Organizational Savvy and Professional Relationships”; Wednesday, November 30, 2022 from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm; Bayview - Andres/Burton Conference Room; Rachel Levine, MD
- “The Who, What and Where of Value-Based Care at Hopkins”; Wednesday, December 7, 2022 from 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm; Maura McGuire, MD, Michael Albert, MD, Kim Pearis, MD
Creating a Culture of Coaching at an Academic Health Center Registration
Two Day Workshop (Wednesday, October 12, 2022 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and Thursday, October 13, 2022 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm); Harriet W. Hopf, MD and Tony Tsai, MBA (University of Utah Health Coaching and Advancement Network (U-CAN))
Day 1 (Wednesday, October 12, 2022)
- Session 1: Coaching, Mentoring, and Developmental Relationships for Faculty
- Who: For anyone interested in developmental relationships and how they benefit faculty development
- When: 9:00 am to 10:20 am
- What: High-level overview of developmental relationships - coaching, mentoring, and sponsorship and evidence in support of coaching in academic medicine. Opportunities for reflection and discussion.
- Session 2: The U-CAN Experience: Building a Grassroots Coaching Culture
- Who: Leadership; open to anyone interested in learning more about the program at University of Utah Health
- When: 10:30 am to Noon (12:00 pm)
- What: A deeper exploration of developing a grassroots coaching program at an academic healthcare institution that engages faculty as coaches and provides coaching skills training and structure to support coaches and coaches. We will use University of Utah Health as an example, with discussion on how it might be implemented at other institutions.
- Lunch: Table Conversations on Coaching Topics (Lunch Provided)
- Who: Anyone Interested
- When: Noon (12:00 pm) to 1:45 pm; RSVP to Ms. Tracie Norman at email@example.com)
- What: Lunch with table topics to engage and connect to discuss coaching. Harriet and Tony will be available to consult/discuss.
- Potential Topics: Value of coaching; How to learn coaching skills; Getting Certified as a Coach; Coaching Culture, U-CAN, Opportunities at Hopkins
- Session 3: Fundamental Coaching Skills
- Who: Anyone Interested; aimed at mid-career and senior faculty who are interested in coaching others
- When: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm (RSVP HERE)
- What: Interactive workshop that introduces the four major coaching skills:
- Listening to understand; asking powerful questions
- Supporting and challenging
- Developing goals
- Participants will have the opportunity to practice coaching skills in a peer-coaching round robin.
Day 2 (Thursday, October 13, 2022)
- Session 1: Is Coaching Right for Me (being coached and/or being a coach)?
- Who: Faculty who are interested in engaging with a formal coach or becoming a coach
- When: 9:00 am - 10:20 am (RSVP HERE)
- What: This session will focus on when coaching is valuable, how to maximize your experience with a coach, and why you might want to become a coach yourself, and how to get training, whether through an internal, non-certified path or through formal certification.
- Session 2: Peer Coaching Session
- Who: Faculty who are interested in practicing coaching skills and getting coached by peers around common challenges for faculty members.
- When: 10:30 am - Noon (12:00 pm) (RSVP HERE)
- What: This session will focus on practicing coaching skills through peer-coaching.
- Participants will have the chance to experience coaching and apply coaching skills with colleagues as a coach as well as a coachee.
1:1 or Group Coaching
- If interested, please contact Kimberly Skarupski, PhD, MPH
- Unbiased Personal Finance Essentials for SOM Faculty - Monday, October 10, 2022, 8:00 am -3:00 pm; 2024 E Monument St, Baltimore; Yuval Bar-Or, PhD
- Investing Basics for SOM Faculty - Thursday, October 27, 2022, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm; 2024 E Monument St, Baltimore; Yuval Bar-Or, PhD
- APPC - Associate Professor Promotion Information Session - Tuesday, November 8, 2022; 1:00 pm -2:30pm; Nauder Faraday, MD, MPH and APPC members
- CEPC - Clinical Excellence Promotion Information SessionMonday, December 5, 2022; 10:00 am - 11:30 am; Nauder Faraday, MD, MPH and CEPC members
- PPC - Professorial Promotion Information SessionThursday, December 8, 2022; 11:30 am - 1:00 pm; Nauder Faraday, MD, MPH and PPC members
Research and Funding
- K-to-R Transition Program Kickoff Thursday, September 22, 2022 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm; via Zoom (https://jhjhm.zoom.us/j/99791876163)
- Institute for Excellence in Education (IEE) Small Grants. Program supports SOM faculty members in educational investigations or innovative, creative, or entrepreneurial projects. Team members may include learners. Interdisciplinary teams are encouraged.
For this call, all areas of education will be considered. For the 2022 -2023, proposals those that focus on Excellence in Educational: Learn from the Past, Transform Our Future are encouraged. Awards of up to $5,000 are available, but smaller amounts are possible. Deadline for submission: October 24, 2022, 5p.m. Decision about finalists (Phase II): November 21, 2022. NOTE THAT ALL GRANT FINALISTS MUST PRESENT TO THE IEE Managing Board on Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 8-10 a.m. To submit proposal.
- Weekly Notice of Limited Submission OpportunitiesFaculty who are interested in joining this listserv can email JHU Research Funding at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Time Management Strategies Monday, November 14th, 11:00 am-1:30 pm
Resources & Announcements
- Faculty Factory podcast (episodes drop every Friday), website (lots of resources, including a link to every school of medicine’s office of faculty affair/development and youtube channel (episodes sorted by topic). 2 FREE eBooks (Habits and Hacks from Hopkins (H3)Snippets for Success: An eBook Brought to You by the Faculty Factory Community
- Do you know your professional development reimbursement benefit?
- Will you consider recording your own episode or sponsoring someone else to participate? It’s super easy - we just jump on a zoom and chat (email me to set-up a good time for you: please contact Kimberly Skarupski, PhD, MPH