Inpatient: New January 2023 E&M Documentation and Coding Changes
- Evaluation and Management (E&M) documentation and coding is the system in which physicians and other healthcare professionals represent their services for purposes of billing.
- Historically, E&M code selection was based on either key components of history, physical and medical decision making, or face-to-face time.
- Beginning in January 2023, for both inpatient work and consultations (outpatient and inpatient), E&M codes will be selected based only on medical decision making or total time on the date of service.
- Earn CME by attending one of four informational webinars live [sessions will also be recorded]:
- November 29, 2022, 5:30p.m. - 6:30 p.m. [complete]
- December 8, 2022, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. [complete]
- December 15, 2022, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- December 29, 2022, 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Learn more information and about educational opportunities here.
Inpatient: Malnutrition Documentation
- UPDATE: The SmartLink, @NUTRITIONPN@ has been added to the JHMADADULTDAILYPROGRESSNOTE SmartPhrase, as well as to the JHM AD ADULT DAILY PROGRESS NOTE SmartText, to pull in a patient’s current diet and any dietitian documentation about a patient’s malnutrition status.
- Add @NUTRITIONPN@ to your personal Smart Phrases to ensure that patients’ nutrition status is always addressed:
- Enter “Smart” to Chart Search and click on SmartPhrase Manager.
- Select your note, and add @NUTRITIONPN@.
- Note: DO NOT add “. nutritionpn” which will break the SmartLink functionality.
Inpatient & Ambulatory: Samsung PowerMic Mobile Audio Issue
- What: Audio Issues with degraded voice recognition.
- When: Issue occurs after upgrading to Android 13 on Samsung devices.
- PowerMic Mobile and other audio applications are impacted.
- Resolution: No resolution information from Samsung; contact Samsung before upgrading to Android 13
- Restart device.
- Toggle Bluetooth on and off; possibly unpair and repair Bluetooth devices.
- Reinstall Sound Assistant Module – uninstall Sound Assistant App [Good Lock] and reinstall from the Galaxy Store.
Ambulatory: NEW Genetics eConsult [Peds & Adult]
- An eConsult is an internal Provider-to-Provider consultation initiated by a JHM generalist [usually primary care] who submits a specific question to a JHM specialist for chart review and a recommendation.
- eConsults streamline communication between clinicians, increasing access to specialty care, and decreasing the cost of care for the patient and the health system.
- Clinical conditions addressed through Genetics eConsults include:
- Vascular Connective Tissue Disorder (Marfan, Loeys-Dietz, Vascular Ehlers Danlos)
- Hypermobility Syndromes (non-vascular)
- Inborn Errors of Metabolism/Mitochondrial disease
- Skeletal Dysplasia/Dwarfism
- Examples of appropriate clinical questions for a Genetics eConsult are:
- Can I give XYZ medication to a person with PKU?
- My patient is tall and thin. Should I send them to you for evaluation for Marfan syndrome?
- I have a patient with autism scheduled to see you in 3 months. Is there testing I should do in the meantime?
- Can you help me figure out what to do with this variant of uncertain significance?
- Do you do HLA testing for celiac disease?
- Review the blog post here.
Ambulatory: Mark your Calendars for the Next Epic Efficiency Series Webinar
- “How to Solve the Most Common Close Encounter Errors”
- When: Thursday, December 15, 2022, 12:00 PM-1:00 PM
Due to a time conflict with our 2023 AMA E&M Inpatient Guideline Changes webinar, this Epic Efficiency webinar will be rescheduled to a later date. Please consider attending the CPT webinar (https://jhjhm.zoom.us/j/4107354002)
Ambulatory: Telemedicine Hot Topics – States of Emergency Telehealth Service Updates
- The Public Health Emergency [PHE] has been extended 90 days [through at least January 11, 2023]
- The Office of Telemedicine launched new training portal for quick access to training videos, tip sheets, and other resources to assist providers.
- Refer to legal FAQs for information related to individual state waivers and licensing requirements.
- Direct general questions to JHM Telemedicine or legal-specific questions to Telemedicine Legal.
-Juliet Allen, MSN, RN, Business Solutions Analyst, Health IT Optimization & User Wellbeing